Sunday, November 8, 2009

How some candy got it's name


I knooooow, Halloween is over - but candy is still hovering around.  I filled my candy bucket (picture on left) this morning with all the leftover candy I had at home. A co-worker happened to pass my cube (I sit right next to the printer so this is not an odd occurrence) and stopped to tell me the story of how Milk Duds got their name. It was such a cute story and I got to thinking how fun it would be to find out how other candy got it's name.  After doing some research this is what I came up with.

Milk Duds -  Candy name came about because the original idea was to have a perfectly round piece.  Since this was found to be impossible, the word "duds" was used.  The word "milk" was used to reflect the large amount of milk in the product.  

Snickers - Invented by Frank Mars in 1930 and named after his horse Snicker



3 Musketeers - was invented in 1932 by MARS.  It was originally packaged as three individual mini bars of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry nougat, hence the name 3 Musketeers.

M&Ms - In 1940, Forrest Mars, Sr., and an associate whose name has been lost to history, started to manufacture M&Ms. The M in M&Ms® comes from the first initial of the last names of Mars and his associate.

Baby Ruth - Not Babe Ruth as some call it. The candy bar was named after President Grover Cleveland's daughter Ruth Cleveland. She was born during his term in office, but sadly died at the age of 12 from diphtheria.

5 comments:

Tina said...

omg, that is sooo cool!!
i love all the candies you listed!! yum, yum!!

xoxo

Stacy Uncorked said...

Very cool info! I always wondered how some candy got its name - especially 3 Musketeers! :)

rxBambi said...

I knew about the baby ruth, but I had no idea about 3 musketeers. Very cool. Thanks for coming by my blog and commenting!

Liz Mays said...

How interesting! I guess the strawberry and vanilla didn't do so well with the 3 Musketeers. I actually still don't like those.

But I sure do love Milk Duds!

cozy heat said...

Wow ! Thanks for apprise me about such interesting fact about the candy names. Nice article.